Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Getting by in tough times

A few weeks ago was the worst week in Wall Street's history. I thought it was a sign that things had dried up for a while. Given all the problems facing the housing market these days, sometimes it's hard to stay optimistic.

Then I came into the office Monday morning and there sits a contract to purchase a home that had been slid under my door sometime over the weekend. It was a good way to start the week and a reminder that no matter how bad things might seem in the financial markets, we're in the business of meeting a crucial need of good people.

I got another reminder later in the week. A retired husband and wife were to meet me at 1:00 pm for a walk-through of a home they were purchasing. Ten minutes passed... then twenty minutes passed and they still hadn't shown up. I began to worry that, amid all the news of financial disaster, they had had second thoughts and weren't interest at this time. To my relief, in walked the couple about thirty minutes late. In talking with them, I learned that a Ted Mason home is a way to for them to save money. For 18 years, they had lived on a half-acre in a large family home and they were looking to downsize, yet live in a community that took care of the yard work and snow removal.

Times are tough for all developers. In a typical month, I sell 10 to 12 homes. These days I'm doing about half that, which is enough to get by in a down economy. TMSH is in a good position to make it.

Due to retirement, health changes, economic conditions, or personal choices to simplify their lives, more people are drawn to smaller, well-built homes close to transportation corridors, employers, and shopping facilities. There are not a lot of builder/developers that offer what I do: lawn service, snow removal, three-year warranty, high quality construction and homes under 1800 square feet. As I told The Idaho Statesman, I have a niche that's managing to hold its own in this down market.

As long as we continue providing a valuable service to society, I believe people will continue to place their trust in us.

No comments: