Monday, December 21, 2009

Trip to Japan resets perspectives

In October I had the opportunity to travel a very long distance to visit my daughter and son-in-law. My son-in-law is serving in the US military in northern Japan, a country to which I have traveled several times. It was great to be back in Japan - speaking the language, eating the food, enjoying the scenery. Of course the best part was spending time with family.

I emphasize 'long distance' because by being completely removed from Idaho and the busy day-to-day I was able to gain some respect for and perspective on the remarkable changes that have taken place in home building in Idaho. The most remarkable change is the reset in the cost of everything that makes up a new home. From lot prices to granite countertops to interest rates - everything costs less... a lot less.

The buzz seems to be all about REO, foreclosed, distressed, but the real story is how new homes are competitive with all of these! Take for example our Covington plan. This is a highly sought after plan we build that has evolved for over the past 15 years. The base price to build a Covington today is $117,879. Less than ever and with better technology (Energy Star, etc.). The smart buyers get it. We are signing contracts to build new homes for the smartest of the smart. They get it!

Reset. That's what came to me as I flew 10,000 miles to and from Japan. Dramatic changes in costs, resulting in new and better homes for Idahoans at dramatically reset prices, all MADE IN AMERICA!

No comments: